Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A neocon and a revolutionary walk into a bar...

. Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Just in case some of you haven't stumbled across it yet, Jeffrey Goldberg's sit-down with Fidel Castro is surreal. Part one is here. Part two here. Presumably there will be more to come. Some of my favorite parts:

"The Cuban model doesn't even work for us anymore," [Castro] said.


In other words, Cuba is beginning to adopt the sort of economic ideas that America has long-demanded it adopt, but Americans are not allowed to participate in this free-market experiment because of our government's hypocritical and stupidly self-defeating embargo policy.


Garcia called over one of the aquarium's veterinarians to help answer the question. Her name was Celia. A few minutes later, Antonio Castro told me her last name: Guevara.

"You're Che's daughter?" I asked.

"Yes," she said.


I found myself agreeing with Fidel: The aquarium in Havana puts on a fantastic dolphin show, the best I've ever seen, and as the father of three children, I've seen a lot of dolphin shows. I will also say this: I've never seen someone enjoy a dolphin show as much as Fidel Castro enjoyed the dolphin show.


"This was how my face looked when I was angry with Khruschev," he said.


I asked him, "At a certain point it seemed logical for you to recommend that the Soviets bomb the U.S. Does what you recommended still seem logical now?" He answered: "After I've seen what I've seen, and knowing what I know now, it wasn't worth it all."

0 comments:

A neocon and a revolutionary walk into a bar...
 

PageRank

SiteMeter

Technorati

Add to Technorati Favorites